You’ve probably heard the terms soul-centered or heart-centered online business, and, while they don’t exactly roll off the tongue, I just don’t know a better term to use. A “non-icky” business just doesn’t work. In this blog post, I want to explore why we should redefine our approach to online business by bringing in the term heart-centered. I especially want to speak to women because I feel that we are the ones to struggle the most with feeling that things are not lining up and almost being afraid step outside the “rules” that everyone is telling us we need to follow if we want to see success.
The Quest for Quick Money: A Fast Track to Burnout
It’s no secret that the online business world is brimming with enticing promises of fast money and instant success. “Side hustles for the broke and lazy” are the most popular vidoes on social media. Do little work and make big bucks almost instantly. Look, here’s my screenshot to prove it! But here’s the reality check: chasing someone else’s formula for quick riches can lead to burnout and disappointment. Many individuals, especially women, dive headfirst into the online space, only to find themselves parroting the same scripts as hundreds of others.
They’re on social media day in and day out, talking about success they haven’t achieved themselves yet. This phenomenon, driven by imitation and repetition, is a recipe for disaster. Here’s why:
- Alignment with Authenticity: By following a generic formula, you’re forced to produce content that may not resonate with your true self. This misalignment causes burnout and an eventual loss of passion. It also reinforces the idea that YOU are not special and it’s best to hide your true self.
- Imposter Syndrome: By promoting a lifestyle or success you haven’t attained, you can start feeling like an imposter. This internal conflict erodes your confidence.
- Generalized ICK: So many of these programs and courses create an environment where you are not supposed to ask questions or express douts. “No negativity. allowed.” Most of us are naturally heart-centered, meaning we want to do things for the common good. So when we are told over and over again how we will get sooooo rich with this course or product, yet inside, we want to be asking, “does this even work? Is this really giving value?”- it creates a feeling that starts to drain our energy.
My Personal Journey: Struggling to Find My Way to a Heart-Centered Online Business
I know this story all too well. I spent over a decade in the “make money online” space. and was told repeatedly that my lack of success was due to a lack of motivation, laziness, or self-sabotage. Meanwhile, whenever I tried to infuse my unique voice and offer genuine value to my audience, I was discouraged. I was tsk-tsked for not following the exact “proven” formula. It felt like an industry-wide belief that success meant removing myself from the equation and blindly following someone else’s steps.
I struggled, doubted myself, and believed I was a failure compared to those who were raking in the money. The truth was, I was uncomfortable exploiting people’s pain points and using manipulative tactics to make sales. It wasn’t in alignment with who I am, and it felt “icky.”
Rethinking Success in Online Business
So, how can we redefine success in online business, especially for women entering this space? It begins with letting go of the pressure to achieve quick, substantial results. Instead, let’s focus on building genuine connections and offering real value to our audience.
1. Authenticity is Key: Your uniqueness is your superpower. Embrace it and infuse it into your online presence. It’s time to stop following the crowd and start leading with your own voice.
2. Build Real Relationships: Success in online business isn’t just about sales; it’s about creating meaningful connections with your audience. Engage with them, answer their questions, and be a genuine source of help.
3. Patience and Persistence: Online business is a journey, not a race. Be patient, keep learning, and refine your approach over time. Remember that overnight success stories are often the exception, not the rule.
4. Value Over Profit: Instead of focusing solely on profit, think about the value you can provide. If you genuinely help your customers, the money will follow.
Conclusion: Lead with Heart, Not Hype
It’s time to shift our focus away from the “get-rich-quick” mentality and realize that real success in online business is rooted in authenticity and providing value. As women, we have a unique perspective and voice to share with the world. Let’s lead with our hearts, not hype, and build businesses that reflect our true selves.
Remember, online success is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay true to your values, engage with your audience authentically, and success will come naturally – and it’ll feel a whole lot better than any quick fix.
So, here’s to the journey ahead – one that’s authentic, valuable, and uniquely yours.
If you are just starting your online business journey, I 100% recommend The Roadmap Course because it puts you in a “safe space” so that your only focus will be on learning the steps as you also discover what business you really want to build. I’ll also be with you on your journey for the touchy-feely and personal growth side of starting an online business.